Category Archives: Windows

Exchange Server messages disappearence

Another story from the mystery category. A Microsoft Small Business Server has been moved from one premises to another twice in the last two weeks. The first time the server was moved and the users confirmed that the server is up and running and all the services working fine. The main service of the server is Microsoft Exchange.

Two days later the user report they can not connect to the server. The server hanged. No response to the keyboard or the mouse. It had to be powered off and cold reboot. After reboot everything seems to be running smooth and everybody is happy.

After the next move the server boot up and everything seems to be OK. New e-mails are coming and going. However, all the e-mails since the day of the last move are gone. They are gone for all the users. Users are in panic. Admins have no idea what is going on. The Exchange Management console can not find any messages for the last 12 days.

The cause of the problem was the Continue reading

Robocopy Errorlevel Return Codes (found in robocopy.doc)

The return code from Robocopy is a bit map, defined as follows:

0x10 Serious error. Robocopy did not copy any files. This is either a usage error or an error due to insufficient access privileges on the source or destination directories.
0x08 Some files or directories could not be copied (copy errors occurred and the retry limit was exceeded). Check these errors further.
0x04 Some Mismatched files or directories were detected. Examine the output log. Housekeeping is probably necessary.
0x02 Some Extra files or directories were detected. Examine the output log. Some housekeeping may be needed.
0x01 One or more files were copied successfully (that is, new files have arrived).
0x00 No errors occurred, and no copying was done. The source and destination directory trees are completely synchronized.

You can use this information in a batch file to report the most serious anomalies, as follows:

if errorlevel 16 echo ***FATAL ERROR*** & goto end
if errorlevel 8 echo **FAILED COPIES** & goto end
if errorlevel 4 echo *MISMATCHES* & goto end
if errorlevel 2 echo EXTRA FILES & goto end
if errorlevel 1 echo Copy successful & goto end
if errorlevel 0 echo –no change– & goto end
:end

Alternatively, full details of the return code could be reported as follows:

if errorlevel 16 echo ***FATAL ERROR*** & goto end
if errorlevel 15 echo FAIL MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 14 echo FAIL MISM XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 13 echo FAIL MISM COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 12 echo FAIL MISM & goto end
if errorlevel 11 echo FAIL XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 10 echo FAIL XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 9 echo FAIL COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 8 echo FAIL & goto end
if errorlevel 7 echo MISM XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 6 echo MISM XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 5 echo MISM COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 4 echo MISM & goto end
if errorlevel 3 echo XTRA COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 2 echo XTRA & goto end
if errorlevel 1 echo COPY & goto end
if errorlevel 0 echo –no change– & goto end
:end

You do not have permission to access your central profile located at …

Windows 2000 PC with profiles stored on a server gives an error:

“You do not have permission to access your central profile located at \\server\users\username”

However, a Windows XP based computer logs in without any problem”

Solution:

1. On your domain controller open Active Directory Users and Computers

2. Open user’s properties

3. Add a backslash ‘\’ at the end of Profile Path: , i.e. change \\server\users\username to \\server\users\username\

Hope it helps!

Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because…

I’ve got the following error message when users trying to login into their PCs.

‘Windows cannot connect to the domain, either because the domain controller is down or otherwise unavailable, or because your computer account was not found. Please try again later. If this message continues to appear, contact your network administrator for assistance.’

Obviously, I can not login to the PC using any of the domain user accounts.

First, you need to login to the computer using local administrator account.

Then, check if you can ping your domain controller.

If you can ping your domain controller the most probably Active Directory has been restored to a state when that PC has not been in the system yet or the PC has been reinstalled with the same name and it worked on cache for a while.

In that case right-click on ‘My Computer’ and select ‘Properties’.

Select ‘Computer Name’ tab and press ‘Change’ button near To rename this computer, click Change.

Put the PC to any workgroup but do NOT reboot when prompted.

Then remove computer account from Active Directory on your domain controller(s).

After that rejoin your domain and reboot the computer.

It works for me I did not even lose user profiles.

Note: If you can not ping your domain controller check network connectivity first, IP configuration, etc.